United Airlines is considering whether to add an upgraded economy section to domestic U.S. flights – a feature typically reserved for overseas markets.
The Chicago-based carrier for months has been readying a new Premium Plus section with bigger seats and improved dining options.
While the company previously said it would add the class to international routes, it’s now considering it for domestic ones, too, President Scott Kirby said at a JPMorgan Chase investor conference Tuesday.
“We look forward to announcing that, if we can get to a great product at some point,” Kirby said at the event. A United spokeswoman declined to provide any details about the premium features in the domestic version.
United would be unique among the major U.S. carriers if it goes forward with a domestic version of premium economy.
While other carriers have extra-legroom seats, such as Delta Air Lines' Comfort Plus and American Airlines' Main Cabin Extra, they typically are the same size as regular economy seats. True premium economy seats are typically wider, requiring more extensive renovations of a plane.
In the case of United's international Premium Plus seats, this means not only wider seats with more recline and legroom but the promise of an "upgraded dining on china dinnerware, free alcoholic beverages, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow, an amenity kit and more."
United has had to play catch-up to its rivals in developing a premium economy section for overseas markets. Many foreign carriers have offered the product for years, while American and Delta each announced they would add the sections to international planes ahead of United.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card