Travellers are less likely to hit that 'Pay' button on the TV remote control in their hotel room as pay-per-view hotel movies take a hit from laptops, iPads and the Internet.
A survey conducted by USA Today found that following a decade-long decline in hotel movie rentals, 81% of the 2,357 people who responded said they don't order hotel pay-per-view movies.
More telling is that 66% of respondents said they're happy to watch free programs (ranging from local TV channels to cable services such as CNN and the BBC).
"Another 15% said that they used to rent movies, but today bring their own DVDs or watch movies online on their laptop or digital device" reported USA Today Hotel Check-in columnist Barbara De Lollis. "Just 20% of respondents said that they order pay-per-view movies every so often as a splurge."
"Compared to 2000, hotels in the USA now collect 39% fewer dollars from pay-per-view rentals, according to Colliers PKF Hospitality Research.
The range of alternatives to pay-per-view entertainment continues to increase. Business travellers can slip a new DVD into their luggage and watch it on their laptop, purchase movies and TV shows for their laptop or iPad from iTunes (or download them for free from other online sources) and even catch up with TV shows from home and live broadcasts such as ABC News 24.
(Click here for step-by-step details on how you can watch Aussie TV shows and live services like ABC News 24 when you're overseas.)
Earlier this month Marriott Hotels announced it would remove adult movies from its pay-per-view channels over the next few years, coinciding with the move from traditional hotel video systems to Internet-based video-on-demand technology.
"Changing technology and how guests access entertainment has reduced the revenue hotels and their owners derive from in-room movies, including adult content" Marriott says.
And of course, if it's porn that you want there's plenty of that on the Internet as well.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card