Flybuys and Etihad Guest will part ways from August following months of uncertainty for cardholders, who have been unable to convert their Flybuys points into Etihad Guest miles since December 2017 due to “technical issues”.
A spokesperson for Etihad Airways confirmed the end of the three-year old alliance which let shoppers earn Etihad Guest frequent flyer miles and Tier Miles status credits at Coles Supermarkets, Coles Online, Coles Express, Liquorland and First Choice Liquor stores.
According to a statement issued by Etihad Airways, from July 31 2018 “linked members will no longer be able to redeem their Flybuys points for Etihad Guest Miles, collect Flybuys points via the Flybuys-Etihad booking portal or link their Flybuys and Etihad Guest memberships.”
All outstanding Tier Miles from Flybuys will be credited to a traveller's Etihad Guest account by the end of August 2018.
Australian Business Traveller has asked Etihad Airways whether there will be a final opportunity for Flybuys members to convert their points into Etihad Guest miles before the partnership is officially terminated, and will update this article when this is confirmed.
Previously, Flybuys members could convert chunks of 10,000 Flybuys points into 4,000 Etihad Guest miles. Flybuys will begin to notify its members of the news from later today.
Flybuys’ partnership with Virgin Australia’s Velocity Frequent Flyer program remains unaffected, with Flybuys members able to continue converting Flybuys points into Velocity points at a 2,000 = 870 rate, while earning Velocity status credits on eligible purchases.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card