SAS is now rolling out inflight Internet on European flights, with connections available free of charge to SAS Plus regional business class passengers and its top-tier Gold and Diamond EuroBonus frequent flyers and priced at €4.90 (A$7.80) for other travellers.
The broadband-grade 'Ka band' service has 82 satellite spot beams blanketing Europe and is rated to deliver 12Mbps per passenger.
That's a solid speed which is sufficient for streaming video from the likes of Netflix as well as more modest sessions of Web work, emailing and social media.
SAS' technology partner in its regional sky-high WiFi venture is ViaSat, which also backs Qantas' domestic WiFi service.
“The upgrade we implemented on our long haul aircraft gained a very positive reception and we are now upgrading our short and medium haul fleet," says Rickard Gustafson, President and CEO of SAS.
SAS expects to offer WiFi across its entire fleet by 2020.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card