Qatar Airways will take delivery of the first Airbus A350-1000 on February 20, with the advanced jet due to begin daily flights between Doha and London from February 24 as the QR15/QR16 service.
Speaking at a media event in Canberra to mark the launch of the airline's daily flights between Doha and the Australian capital, airline CEO His Excellency Akbar Al Baker confirmed that the A350-1000 "will be delivered on the 20th of this month."
The jet is the largest member of the Airbus A350 family, and Qatar Airways is its prestigious launch customer.
Al Baker has previously cited the "complex seat configuration" of the Qsuite business class suites (below) as delaying the hand-over from December 2017.
The Airbus A350-1000 is a 'stretch' of the A350 series, which carries more passengers than the A350-900 – in Qatar Airways' case, an extra 44 passengers – but over a slightly shorter range, making it a very flexible aircraft to suit the needs of qatar's growing network.
The twin-engine jet will contain 46 of the airline's flagship Qsuite business class suites, with the cabin divided into 22 forward-facing and 24 rear-facing business class suites...
... with the middle suites able to convert to double beds...
... or 'quad' suites.
There will also be 281 economy seats, for a total of 327 passengers.
Qatar Airways has signed up for 37 of the A350-1000s, but has yet to reveal which routes the jet will fly.
David Flynn travelled to Canberra as a guest of Qatar Airways
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card