While Qantas and Virgin Australia continue to expand their WiFi-equipped Boeing 737 fleet, both airlines are also stepping up the rollout of inflight Internet onto their larger twin-aisle Airbus A330 jets.
By the middle of 2019, all domestic Qantas A330s plus domestic and international A330 flights by Virgin Australia will let travellers stay connected above the clouds.
Qantas has earmarked a dozen of its A330s to be fitted with the same fast and free WiFi service as its workhorse Boeing 737s, with the first expected to take wing later this month and all 12 flying by early 2019.
The move will be welcomed by passengers on the transcontinental flights, which are largely the domain of the Airbus A330-200s for the 4-5 hour cross-country trek.
While the airline currently has no plans to bring international WiFi to its international A330-300 jets, when a domestic A330-200 is rostered onto an international route such as to Asia, WiFi will be available to the tip of the Northern Territory and Queensland.
Virgin Australia will begin installing WiFi on its own Airbus A330s from the beginning of 2019, with CEO John Borghetti telling media on board last week's inaugural Sydney-Hong Kong flight that he expects all six A330s to be upgraded by the middle of 2019.
At the time of writing this will see four of Virgin's A330s offering WiFi on east-west flights, with the other two providing inflight Internet to passengers on the Sydney-Hong Kong and Melbourne-Hong Kong routes.
Virgin Australia already has inflight WiFi on all five of its Boeing 777s which cover the trans-Pacific routes from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to Los Angeles.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card