Singapore Airlines has revealed a new look for its first class seats, which take a step back from the airlines' flagship’ Airbus A380 private suites to adopt a more conventional high-walled design.
The new seats are bound for SQ's long-range Boeing 777-300ER jets, but only for new deliveries rolling out of the Boeing factory later this year (the debut is set for September on the London-Singapore route), with no firm plans to upgrade existing 777s.
The first class ‘mini-suites’ are built around a fixed-back shell with curved side panels.
The seats are 35 inches wide and extend to a 82 inch long bed, up from the current 80 inches of the current first class seat.
Designed in conjunction with BMW Group DesignWorksUSA and manufactured by Jamco America, the seats are finished in rich dark chocolate leather with contemporary orange accents in the headrest and cushion trimming, while the seat’s exterior back shell is a cool metallic grey.
Boosts to personal space include a space underneath the ottoman which can fit a standard cabin bag.
Also read: Singapore Airlines' new business class seats
A new ‘vanity area’ with its own mirror lets travellers do a quick pre-landing freshen up without leaving their seats. There’s also a small cocktail tray and water bottle holder.
Another stowage pocket contains laptop power and USB ports along with an HDMI socket to pipe content from your laptop or other device onto the 24 inch screen.
One small but long overdue touch: passengers can disable their KrisWorld screen with the tap of a button on their IFE controller.
Australian Business Traveller is attending the launch of Singapore Airlines' new seats in Singapore as a guest of Singapore Airlines.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on twitter: we're @AusBT
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.