Malaysia Airlines will fly its flagship Airbus A380 superjumbo to Sydney on selected dates from March through to July 2018, and savvy business class passengers will be able to grab a free upgrade to first class for the nine hour journey to and from Kuala Lumpur.
The daily MH122/MH123 services between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney will shift from an Airbus A330 to the double-deck A380 on 20 dates so far:
- March 31
- April 1, and April 13 through to April 15
- June 22 through to June 25, and June 30
- July 1 through to July 9, and July 16
(Several of these dates represent peak travel periods, including the Easter weekend and NSW school holidays.)
These A380 flights can now be booked, and with substantially more seats than the A330 there should be ample availability and some points-based reward seats opening up – including a handful of business class seats on each of those dates listed above.
Note that Qantas frequent flyers can use Qantas Points to book a Malaysia Airlines flight, with Sydney to Kuala Lumpur in business class costing 65,000 Qantas Points and $275 in taxes, fees and charges.
Malaysia Airlines' A380 sports 66 business class seats which convert into fully-flat beds, in a 2-2-2 configuration similar to that of the Qantas Airbus A380s.
Fancy something a little more schmick?
Nestled at the front of the superjumbo's lower deck are eight first class suites – which some travellers will be able to snare even though they've paid for a business class ticket.
That's because Malaysia Airlines won't be selling first class on the Sydney-Kuala Lumpur flights. Instead, the first class cabin will be held aside for top-tier frequent flyers who are booked into business class.
How to book a first class suite on a business class fare
Platinum and Gold members of Malaysia Airlines' Enrich scheme – along with their Qantas Platinum and Gold counterparts, and other Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire card-holders – will be able to choose the prized rows 1 and 2 during the seat selection process.
Those are the eight first class suites, which will be blocked off to lesser mortals in business class.
You'll be served the same meals and wines as your business class comrades – but it'll feel so much more stylish because, well, you're in first class!
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available