The corridor between Sydney and Melbourne is not only one of the world’s busiest airline routes, it’s a billion dollar goldmine for Qantas.
According to flight schedule analysis from OAG, Sydney-Melbourne is the world’s second highest revenue-earning route in the world with an estimated annual value to Qantas of almost US$855 million, or a whopping A$1.15 billion per year.
That should come as no surprise to regular commuters on the 90 minute journey, which sees over 100 flights per day and remains hotly contested between Qantas and challenger Virgin Australia.
“All of the top 10 routes are also high-cost operations,” says OAG’s John Grant. “Typically, these routes also include a high proportion of business traffic, later booking and higher yielding in nature."
The world’s richest route for airline revenue is British Airways’ trans-Atlantic spring between London and New York , at US$1.04 billion, with Emirates’ Dubai-London leg in third place for its annual haul of US$820 million.
In fact, London lists as half of the world’s ten most lucrative routes with flights from the hubs of Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Qatar Airways also gaining a spot on the leaderboard.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.