Inflight PJs have joined the cutlist on Etihad Airways, with the Gulf airline no longer handing out free sleep suits to business class passengers.
After hearing a series of anecdotal reports from readers Australian Business Traveller contacted Etihad Airways, with a spokesman for the airline confirming that "Etihad Airways no longer provides complementary loungewear, previously available only on ultra-long haul flights, in business class."
Pyjamas are the latest casualty at the belt-tightening airline, which has also axed its free chauffeur drive service for business class and first class passengers; imposed data limits on inflight Internet plans, and closed its Six Senses airport lounge spa at London's Heathrow Airport.
The airline also tightened up its Etihad Guest frequent flyer scheme this week, although Gold-grade members gained access to the Abu Dhabi business class lounges.
As previously reported, Etihad has also joined a move by Emirates to ope the doors of its 'premium' airport lounges, with travellers now able to buy their way into everything from the flagship first class and business class lounges at Abu Dhabi to most other airport lounges including Sydney and Melbourne at rates ranging from A$72 to A$266 depending on the lounge and your original class of travel.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card