The long-awaited American Express lounge at Melbourne Airport’s international T2 terminal will be open to travellers from Tuesday March 27, 2018.
A spokesperson for American Express has confirmed the opening date to Australian Business Traveller, with the adjacent Plaza Premium lounge also rolling out the red carpet on the same day.
This will be the second member of the Australian AMEX lounge network and will take its lead from the card company's popular Sydney Airport lounge.
Plaza Premium will manage both lounges, which will also share some facilities such as toilets and kitchens.
The AMEX Melbourne Airport lounge was previously slated to open at the end of 2017.
As with its Sydney sibling, the American Express Melbourne Airport lounge will be accessible only to passengers with selected AMEX cards or lounge passes issued with those cards.
The best cards on that list are the American Express Platinum Charge, Business Platinum, Platinum Corporate Card, Centurion and Business Centurion cards, which all come with unlimited access prior to international flights with any airline, plus up to two adult guests and children aged 2-17.
PREVIOUS | American Express will open a lounge at Melbourne Airport’s international terminal by the end of this year, building on the popularity of the company’s existing Sydney Airport lounge.
As in Sydney, the Melbourne American Express Lounge will offer barista-crafted coffee, buffet dining, alcoholic refreshments, complimentary WiFi, business facilities and a selection of local and international newspapers and magazines.
Melbourne’s door list will also mirror Sydney, with American Express Platinum Charge, Business Platinum, Centurion and Business Centurion cardholders afforded unlimited access prior to international flights with any airline, plus up to two adult guests and children aged 2-17.
The following cards can also get you and your children aged 2-17 inside, but with two adult entries permitted per calendar year in total across both the Sydney and Melbourne American Express Lounges, as opposed to unlimited access:
- American Express Explorer & Business Explorer
- Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
- American Express Velocity Platinum Card
- Westpac Altitude Black American Express
- CBA Diamond Awards American Express
- David Jones American Express Platinum Card
- AMEX Qantas Corporate Platinum Card
- AMEX Corporate Platinum Card
- Westpac Earth Black American Express (existing cardholders only)
- American Express Platinum Reserve Card (not open for general application)
- New Zealand-issued AMEX Airpoints Platinum cards
“Melbourne Tullamarine is an important transport hub for many Australian and international travellers and the new airport lounge will be a welcome travel benefit for card members,” an American Express spokesperson told Australian Business Traveller.
The new lounge will be operated by Plaza Premium on behalf of AMEX.
American Express Platinum Charge and Centurion cardholders already receive complimentary access to the Virgin Australia lounge in Melbourne Airport’s Terminal 2 – and to all other domestic Virgin Australia lounges – when travelling domestically with the airline and presenting their AMEX card.
These top-level cardholders can also access the Plaza Premium Lounge in Brisbane Airport’s international terminal when jetting abroad with any airline on presentation of their card, with the lounge also welcoming Priority Pass cards, such as included with Westpac Altitude Black.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.