A ticket for two seats on the inaugural flight of ANA's Boeing 787 Dreamliner has sold for a whopping A$32,700 on eBay.
The auction, organised by ANA and with the proceeds going to a Japanese environmental group, began one week ago at AU$1,826 but fierce bidding between four eBay members saw bids skyrocket past $10,000 and then eclipse $20,000 in the final days.
With ANA's first flight being a 3.5 hour journey between Japan's Narita airport and Hong Kong, on October 26, the winning bid of AU$32,700 equates to some $2,335 per hour of flying time per ticket.
If that sort of dosh is a bit out of your reach, you'll still have a chance to see the 787 close-up when it visits Sydney and Mebourne airports in November.
Australian Business Traveller has covered Boeing's 787 Dreamliner from plenty of angles this week as part of the next-gen jetliner's long-awaited debut for launch customer ANA.
Now here's your chance to go one better: to actually travel in the 787 on its inaugural flight between Japan's Narita airport and Hong Kong, leaving October 26 with an overnight stay in Hong Kong (at the Kowloon Shangri-la) and then flying back from Hong Kong on October 27.
ANA is offering two business-class seats on this special chartered flight through an eBay auction, with the proceeds going to "the environmental protection activities of Conservation International Japan", as a nod to "the environmentally-friendly Boeing 787."
The auction closes on October 4. You'll need to submit your contact and passport details to become a pre-approved bidder, and of course you'll need to make your own way to Japan.
Oh, and be prepared to bid like a demon: at the time of writing the pot was up to $6,600...
Also in AusBT's Boeing 787 Dreamliner coverage:
- Exclusive photo tour: inside ANA's new Boeing 787 Dreamliner
- Why business travellers will love the Boeing 787 Dreamliner
- Photos: inside the Boeing 787's funky crew rest 'loft'
- Boeing’s 787 nixes first class for business, premium economy
- Flying in a Boeing 787 Dreamliner: first real-life video
- Photos & video: Inside the first ANA Boeing 787 Dreamliner
- Boeing chooses Android for 787 Dreamliner's entertainment system
- Qantas does the 787 shuffle
- United aims for first Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights by mid-2012
About David Flynn
David Flynn is the editor of Australian Business Traveller and a bit of a travel tragic with a weakness for good coffee, shopping and lychee martinis.