Virgin Australia will offer enhanced business class and economy class across its fleet, delivering what Virgin Australia CEO John Borghetti promises will be "a new standard of airline travel in Australia". For more on the new airline, head to our homepage and follow the links at the bottom of this article for the absolute latest.
We've already seen the business class on the Airbus A330s which will run daily between Sydney and Perth from May 28, quickly moving up to three times a day in June.
These 27 seats at the pointy end of the plane will be joined by 252 "luxury leather high comfort" economy seats" which we're seeing today for the first time.
The airline's first A330 -- named "Cable Beach" -- landed at Sydney Airport in new colours this morning, and Australian Business Traveller was there as the wheels touched down.
New business class and economy class interiors for the Boeing 737-800s "will be rolled out across the majority of Virgin Australia's current domestic fleet by the end of the year" the airline says, with business class seats on the 737-800s going on sale in the last quarter of 2011.
The newest 737-800 in the fleet, "Bondi Beach", also landed at Sydney Airport this morning:
Each 737-800 will be fitted with eight business class seats with 37 inches of legroom and a 2-2 configuration in their own premium cabin. Behind these will be 168 of what Virgin Australia calls its "next generation economy seats".
"Our new business and economy class has been designed from the ground up by experts in their fields" Borghetti says. "We have listened to what today's traveller wants from an airline and we are incorporating that into every feature and every part of our service, while maintaining competitive pricing."
Travellers on the A330 will enjoy "international-style amenities" including noise-cancelling headphones, toiletries from Bvlgari & Grown, plush blankets and pillows.
This is just part of Australian Business Traveller's comprehensive coverage of Virgin Australia's launch day:
- Touchdown! Virgin Australia's first landings at Sydney Airport
- The very first on-board photos from Virgin Australia's new Boeing 737-800 in Business and Economy
- Insider photos from the launch day with Richard Branson and John Borghetti
- Punchy, fresh new ads for Virgin Australia, plus interviews with uniform designer Julie Grbac, inflight chef Luke Mangan and brand guru Hans Hulbosch
- Full analysis of the decision to rebrand all the Virgin Blue group airlines (including V Australia, Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue) as Virgin Australia
- Photo tour: Virgin Australia's new Boeing 737 with futuristic 'Sky Interior'
- Photo gallery: Virgin Australia's Airbus A330 business class, economy class and new in-flight meals
- Photo gallery: Virgin Australia's Boeing 737-800 cabin, business class and economy class
- Richard Branson and John Borghetti hint at premium economy class for Virgin Australia
- Our interview with Richard Branson about business travel
- Seat guide: Virgin Australia Airbus A330 business class