Virgin Australia plans to extend its inflight Internet service onto Boeing 777 flights to the USA and Airbus A330 services to Hong Kong and China, following a roll-out of the WiFi service across its domestic fleet.
The airline has started work fitting the ncessary satellite tech to its Boeing 737 fleet, which mainly flies routes within Australia but also darts across the Tasman to New Zealand.
Virgin has also pledged to provide "a base level of free WiFi to all of our guests on domestic flights", with the option to pay for a 'premium' service.
The international Boeing 777 fleet will start to see WiFi onboard from October, although even with just five jets it's going to be a slow process – Virgin expects the entire Boeing 777 fleet won't be wired (or rather, unwired) until the end of 2018, along with "the majority of Boeing 737 aircraft."
The Airbus A330s will also have to take their turn in the queue, with these jets not kitted out until the second half of 2019.
“We want to provide the world’s most rewarding travel experience and we know that enabling our guests to remain connected while flying is central to that," said Virgin Australia Group CEO John Borghetti.
Australian flights will rely on a satellite from telco Optus, while international services will tap into a seperate network of satellites through service provider Gogo.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card