United Airlines will finally wheel its aging Boeing 747 jumbos off Sydney-US routes from April 1st, replacing them with more modern albeit smaller Boeing 777-200s.
The upgrade will be welcomed by travellers winging their way between Sydney, San Francisco and Los Angeles, especially in economy, as the 777s sport in-seat video screens – something the Boeing 747 noticeably lacked.
All seats also have access to AC power sockets, and the flights will at some stage include inflight Internet.
United runs five versions of the Boeing 777 across its fleet.
The one that we'll be seeing has eight suites in the carrier's Global First international first class, 40 seats in BusinessFirst business class and 221 in economy, including 117 of the extra legroom economy plus seats.
However, that tally of 269 seats is almost one hundred short of the 747's capacity and includes a substantial reduction in seats at the point end of the plane.
The current Boeing 747 offers 12 first class suites compared to the 777's eight suites, while business class goes down from 52 seats to 40 seats.
With United still enjoying a monopoly on direct Sydney/San Francisco flights, the cutback in premium seats could make things tougher for business travellers trying to match their schedule to United's seating availability.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card