United Airlines is considering whether to add an upgraded economy section to domestic U.S. flights – a feature typically reserved for overseas markets.
The Chicago-based carrier for months has been readying a new Premium Plus section with bigger seats and improved dining options.
While the company previously said it would add the class to international routes, it’s now considering it for domestic ones, too, President Scott Kirby said at a JPMorgan Chase investor conference Tuesday.
“We look forward to announcing that, if we can get to a great product at some point,” Kirby said at the event. A United spokeswoman declined to provide any details about the premium features in the domestic version.
United would be unique among the major U.S. carriers if it goes forward with a domestic version of premium economy.
While other carriers have extra-legroom seats, such as Delta Air Lines' Comfort Plus and American Airlines' Main Cabin Extra, they typically are the same size as regular economy seats. True premium economy seats are typically wider, requiring more extensive renovations of a plane.
In the case of United's international Premium Plus seats, this means not only wider seats with more recline and legroom but the promise of an "upgraded dining on china dinnerware, free alcoholic beverages, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and pillow, an amenity kit and more."
United has had to play catch-up to its rivals in developing a premium economy section for overseas markets. Many foreign carriers have offered the product for years, while American and Delta each announced they would add the sections to international planes ahead of United.
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available