Nestled between business class and economy, the Qantas Boeing 787 boasts a cosy premium economy zone of just 28 travellers seated across four rows (numbered 20 through 23):
The cabin comes in a 2-3-2 layout, with the paired window seats listed as A/B and J/K and the centre trio as D/E/F.
Passengers in 'A' and 'K' seats are by the windows; those in 'B', 'D', 'F' and 'J' seats are by the aisles; while guests in 'E' seats are, sadly, stuck in the middle.
Qantas Boeing 787 Dreamliner premium economy: best seats
For maximum legroom and space – row 20: Located at the front of the cabin, these seats prove the roomiest thanks to the generous gap between them and the bulkhead wall in front.
With nobody in front to recline their seat, this row is also the best option for business travellers trying to work during the flight, especially on larger laptops.
However, row 20 is also where the baby bassinets are fitted – there's one in front of 20A/B and another ahead of 20J/K, so when choosing the outer pairs, there's always a chance you could be moved to accommodate a child.
For couples and duos – the A+B and J+K pairs: When travelling with a partner or friend, there's no reason to have a seatmate in the centre group when you can instead sit together by the windows!
For sleeping – row 23: With a bulkhead wall behind and nobody to bump your seat, plant yourself in row 23 and enjoy remaining reclined and asleep, even if those around you are eating.
Solo travellers will also prefer the window seats here to avoid being awoken during the flight when their seatmate needs to hop up.
However, baby bassinets for economy passengers are found directly behind 23A/B and 23J/K, too... but with bassinets also at the front of premium economy, choosing a different row won't provide much difference.
For families – it varies: Couples travelling with lap infants will appreciate those baby bassinet facilities available at row 20A/B and 20J/K, as the bassinet frees your hands during the flight.
(Bassinets are indicated by an orange dot on the seat map above.)
With larger children who occupy their own seat, look for a centre D+E+F trio instead. Parents may wish to enjoy the aisle seats themselves while assigning their child to the middle seat.
For everybody else, there's no reason to choose yourself a centre ('E') seat when every other seat in the cabin is by a window or aisle.
- The best business class seats on the Qantas Boeing 787
- The best economy class seats on the Qantas Boeing 787
Connect with other business travellers in our Qantas discussion group
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card