Singapore Airlines will begin non-stop flights to Los Angeles on November 2, 2018, following the October 11 debut of direct flights to New York.
The move follows the decision by fellow Star Alliance member United Airlines to axe its own Singapore-Los Angeles flights as of October 27, 2018.
Singapore Airlines' long-legged LAX flight will be handled by the Airbus A350-900ULR – an extended range version of the A350-900 in a two-class 'all-premium' configuration with 67 business class seats (below) and 94 premium economy seats, the same as fitted on SQ's standard Airbus A350-900 jets.
The 17 hour flight SQ38 will initially run three times a week – departing Singapore on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday – before toggling to a daily service on 9 November 2018.
But once a day isn't enough, the airline says, with an additional three flights per week as SQ36 from December 7, 2018, for a total of ten weekly A350s plying the non-stop skies between the Red Dot and La La Land.
In tandem with the launch of the direct flights to Los Angeles, Singapore Airlines will axe its daily Singapore-Seoul-Los Angeles service as of November 30 (truncating this to a Singapore-Seoul flight running four days a week as of December 1) but retain the Singapore-Tokyo-Los Angeles route.
Singapore Airlines will also swing the A350-900ULR onto its San Francisco route three days per week as of November 28 2018, complementing the current daily flight made by a standard A350-900 to boost overall non-stop services to Fog City to ten flights per week.
Qantas is also weighing up the same A350-900ULR jet for direct flights to New York, London and other destinations from 2022 as part of its ambitious 'Project Sunrise'.
However, unlike SQ's lean two-class layout, Qantas wants its ultra-long range fleet to carry upwards of 300 passengers across four classes – with the option to include railway-like 'sleeping berths' and even dedicated exercise areas located in the cargo area beneath the main deck.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card