LATEST | Air France/KLM has pulled down the shutters on the Flying Blue status match.
Visitors to the status match sign-up page are now being greeted with this message:
The possibility to apply for a Gold Card from Flying Blue is closed for now! This very exclusive offer was valid for a short period only and we are looking forward to welcoming our new Gold card holders onboard on our flights.
UPDATE | Air France/KLM seems to have clamped down on this status match offer.
The 'fine print' at the bottom of the status match signup page now states that the "Flying Blue offer is valid until 28 February, 2013 and is only valid for Danish residents."
The offer was previously listed as valid through to the end of May 2013 and there was no mention of it being restricted to any country.
PREVIOUS | Gold-class frequent flyers with Qantas and Virgin Australia will be keen to sign up for the free instant status match now available through the Flying Blue program of Air France and KLM.
It doesn't matter if you have no plans to fly with Air France/KLM – the reason to grab this golden opportunity is because Air France/KLM is a member of the SkyTeam alliance, so you'll also be clocking up SkyTeam Elite Plus status into the bargain, which means you get a few extra perks when travelling on other airlines belonging to the SkyTeam family.
That roster includes Delta, China Southern, Korean Air and Vietnam Airlines, all of which fly out of Australia.
Other notable partners which may slot into your 2013 travel plans include Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Aerolíneas Argentinas, Air Europa, Alitalia and China Eastern.
Your Gold status with Flying Blue will land you the same serve of benefits those airlines provide to their own Elite Plus-grade frequent flyers – such as lounge access, extra checked baggage, priority checkin and boarding plus a 75% miles bonus.
This promotion applies only to Gold cards – sorry, Silver and below need not apply – and is open to all airlines, so you can also take advantage of this if you hold suitably Gold-plated membership with Air New Zealand Airpoints, British Airways Executive Club, Cathay Pacific's Marco Polo Club, Emirates Skywards, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer and so on.
However, if you enjoy higher-than-Gold status such as Qantas or Virgin Australia Platinum, you'll still be eligible for a Flying Blue Gold card.
How to get your SkyTeam Elite Plus status match
Scoring instant SkyTeam Elite Plus status is a simple three-step process:
- Register for a Flying Blue account with either KLM or Air France, and note down your membership number;
- Take a quick snap of your current Gold frequent flyer card with your camera or smartphone, or scan the card onto your computer;
- Head over to the Flying Blue status match signup page, fill out the form and upload the image of your Gold frequent flyer card.
Thanks to Gary Leff at the View From The Wing blog for sharing the details of this great deal.
For the latest news for business travellers and frequent flyers, follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card