Qantas will fly its iconic Boeing 747 between Sydney and Perth from late July, while its double-daily Perth-Singapore Boeing 737 service will be replaced by an Airbus A330.
A Qantas spokesperson confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the Perth-Singapore A330 schedule will start from July 22, and the jet chosen will feature the airline's highly-regarded Business Suite business class.
It's understood the A330 will remain on the roster until late October, although this could be extended closer to the date.
Qantas Boeing 747 for Sydney-Perth
Meanwhile, the iconic jumbo jet is getting a shot at domestic duties before it's retired from the Qantas fleet in 2020. The red-tailed Boeing 747s first joined the Qantas fleet in 1971, giving them an almost 50 year history with the Flying Kangaroo.
However, don't expect to see the Boeing 747 thundering coast-to-coast on a daily basis: Qantas says it'll operate only on select flights starting July 30.
Here's a snapshot of the first ten days of Boeing 747 flying between Sydney and Perth, as supplied to Australian Buisiness Traveller by Qantas.
As you can see, QF581, QF582, QF583 and QF568 will be the flights to watch if you're booking beyond August 9.
In the Boeing 747's business class, transcon travellers will most likely see lie-flat Skybed II seats arranged 2-3-2 in most of the business class cabin and 2-2 in both the nose and the upper deck.
Top-tier frequent flyers booked in economy class will be able to pre-select seats in the Boeing 747's premium economy cabin based on their status.
The airline previously swung the jumbo onto the same route in mid-2011 and again in 2012 as the 'transcontinental turf war' hotted up between Qantas ands Virgin Australia.
The airline says these schedule changes are being made "to support our pilot training requirements", and come in response to a reported shortage of Boeing 737 crew as pilots are being trained up for the Boeing 787 Dreamliners.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.