Qantas will give six of its domestic Airbus A330-200 jets an "international upgrade" to a similar spec as their A330-300 cousins, and says the final two jets featuring the the original Skybed business class will also be fitted with the new Business Suites.
A spokesman for Qantas confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the six jets getting a re-refurb will gain a second toilet in the business class cabin – something that's been much-needed when those aircraft are rostered onto long Asian routes.
Further feature comforts for business class passengers will see the galley kitchen fitted with a toaster and an espresso machine, while the enlarged galley will be able to support a second full meal service – again, handy when the domestic jets are pressed into international service.
The rejig will result in one less business class seat, with the tally dropping from 28 to 27, while the covers of those seats themselves will be switched from leather to fabric.
The overhauls will run from May 2018 through to December 2018 and joining those six jets in the Brisbane hangar will be one of the two remaining A330-200s which still have the previous-generation Skybed business class seats. Its sibling will follow in 2019, the Qantas spokesman confirmed.
The entire 12-strong A330-200 fleet will then trundle back into the hangar from early 2019 to be equipped with Qantas' satellite WiFi system, with the airline expecting most of the jets to be WiFi'd by the end of the year.
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available