Qantas will give six of its domestic Airbus A330-200 jets an "international upgrade" to a similar spec as their A330-300 cousins, and says the final two jets featuring the the original Skybed business class will also be fitted with the new Business Suites.
A spokesman for Qantas confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the six jets getting a re-refurb will gain a second toilet in the business class cabin – something that's been much-needed when those aircraft are rostered onto long Asian routes.
Further feature comforts for business class passengers will see the galley kitchen fitted with a toaster and an espresso machine, while the enlarged galley will be able to support a second full meal service – again, handy when the domestic jets are pressed into international service.
The rejig will result in one less business class seat, with the tally dropping from 28 to 27, while the covers of those seats themselves will be switched from leather to fabric.
The overhauls will run from May 2018 through to December 2018 and joining those six jets in the Brisbane hangar will be one of the two remaining A330-200s which still have the previous-generation Skybed business class seats. Its sibling will follow in 2019, the Qantas spokesman confirmed.
The entire 12-strong A330-200 fleet will then trundle back into the hangar from early 2019 to be equipped with Qantas' satellite WiFi system, with the airline expecting most of the jets to be WiFi'd by the end of the year.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card