Qantas plans to do away with paper boarding passes for international flights, with switched-on travellers being given the option to use a digital boarding pass in the Qantas app.
Near-paperless boarding is already a standard on domestic Qantas flights thanks to mobile check-in, tap-and-go smartcard readers (which are being phased out) and the Qantas smartphone app.
App-based boarding passes will be introduced on flights between Australia and New Zealand next month in what the airline is touting as more seamless trans-Tasman travel.
Qantas plans to extend this to other international destinations, eventually allowing passengers without checked luggage to use the Qantas App to bypass the checkin counter and head straight to immigration and security, and then make a beeline for the lounge (or boarding gate, if they're running late).
Eligible travellers will also find their digital boarding pass includes access to the airport's Express Path fast-track.
“Seamless domestic travel has been a reality since Qantas pioneered smart check-in technology in 2010, but the barriers have always been a lot higher for international flights," says Qantas International CEO Garett Evans.
“The goal is ultimately to make this technology for international routes the ‘new normal’. Helping our customers access services and information through their mobile is a big priority for Qantas right now."
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available