Qantas has turned to Apple's iPad Mini to serve as an inflight entertainment system for passengers on its revamped Airbus A330 jets.
The tablet is being used on all 243 economy seats on the domestic jets, which mainly ply the east-west transcontinental trek between Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
Business class travellers get their own dedicated 16 inch HD touchscreens (as shown below).
The iPad Minis are being installed in eight domestic A330-200 jets which don't currently have inflight video screens.
Movies, TV shows and music are beamed to a customised app on the iPad Minis via inflight WiFi over Qantas' Q Streaming network, giving economy passengers access to the same wide range of content as their business class brethren.
Qantas is also issuing new-design headsets in economy, with flexible silicone earpads replacing the older foam pads for a better fit and improved noise reduction.
Qantas says the tablets can be used on the tray table or docked into custom-designed holder installed into the seat as part of each aircraft's refurbishment.
The holder used a spring-loaded mechanism to keep any tablet in place, such as your own iPad or any other tablet for that matter.
Each economy seat has also been fitted with two USB ports, one for the passenger's own tech and the other to keep the iPad Mini's battery topped up.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available