Continued over-crowding at the Qantas Singapore Lounge will see all Qantas Club members redirected to the nearby SATS Premier Lounge until September, although they'll pocket a bonus 5,000 Qantas Points for the inconvenience.
As previously detailed by Australian Business Traveller, Qantas has already been turning away Qantas Club members and some Gold-grade frequent flyers during evening peak periods.
The airline is now looking for a longer-term solution to cater for the increasing number of passengers using the lounge in the wake of Singapore replacing Dubai as the stopover for London flights, which could see an expansion of the lounge along with the creation of a dedicated first class wing.
In the meantime, the upgrading of the daily QF81/QF82 Sydney-Singapore flight from an Airbus A330 to the mighty Airbus A380 superjumbo across July and August has only added to the pressure on a lounge that's already bursting at the seams.
As a result, all Qantas Club members travelling from Singapore in July and August – and at all times, not just during the busier evening hours – will be sent to the SATS Premier Lounge and have 5,000 Qantas Points credited to their Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
The airline has said it will contact those Qantas Club members prior to the departure of their flight.
AusBT review: SATS Premier Lounge, Singapore Changi T1
This arrangement should also reduce the likelihood of Qantas Gold frequent flyers being turned away from the Singapore lounge during the busiest periods, although a Qantas spokesperson tells Australian Business Traveller that "during evening peak periods, our lounge hosts may still use their discretion in redirecting passengers to an alternative lounge... to ensure a comfortable experience for everyone."
In addition to the SATS Premier Lounge, eligible Oneworld frequent flyers can also be redirected to the adjacent British Airways lounge.
This is also an option for business and first class passengers, along with Qantas Gold, Platinum and Platinum One-grade Qantas Frequent Flyer members, seeking to escape the crowded Qantas lounge.
Another alternative for that same set of Qantas passengers is Emirates' Singapore Lounge, found above Gate C1 and a short stroll from the Qantas lounge.
"We know our customers look forward to their time in the Qantas lounges, so we apologise that we are unable to accommodate our Qantas Club members during this period," the spokesperson said.
Qantas has already squeezed an extra 40 seats into the existing lounge's floorplan, and the spokesperson said the airline is "exploring a number of options to cater for the increasing number of passengers utilising our Singapore lounge, including the possibility of more space."
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card