Qantas will fly its regional QantasLink Boeing 717 jets between Brisbane and both Adelaide and Cairns from November, in place of larger Boeing 737-800s.
The plan adds to new weekend Boeing 717 flights from the Queensland capital to Sydney and Melbourne which began this month, following the use of these planes on regular Brisbane-Canberra flights.
Qantas says the shake-up puts “the right aircraft on the right routes” in line with passenger demand, and will free up a Boeing 737 for use on higher-demand routes such as Sydney-Melbourne and Perth-Adelaide.
The Boeing 717 earmarked for these Brisbane flights will offer both business class and economy, with the airline reconfiguring two of its remaining economy-only jets – currently seen flying within Western Australia – with business class (below) and new economy seats, for use on the eastern seaboard.
With the first reconfigured plane flying from November, the second is expected to take wing in January 2018, which the airline will use to support its existing Boeing 717 flight schedule while heavy maintenance is undertaken on other jets.
Qantas will offer business class on 12 of its 20 Boeing 717s once these reconfiguration works are complete, and will increase the use of economy-only Fokker 100 aircraft on regional, resources-related Western Australian routes where the airline now sees lower demand.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.