Qantas is shutting down its inflight duty-free shopping service, with that last watch, universal AC adaptor or bottle of perfume sold above the clouds on New Year's Eve.
The airline this morning confirmed the move, following comments to trade publication TRBusiness by Alpha Flight Services' Manager of Duty Free Lenelle Williams – who oversaw the inflight duty-free operation under contract to Qantas – "that Qantas have made the decision to discontinue their traditional offering of inflight duty free from 1 January 2018, with the last flight departing the Australian ports on 31 December 2017."
As a global trend inflight duty-free sales are said to have been steadily declining over the past decade, driven by improved duty-free retail outlets at airports as well as the greater availability of goods – and greater price competition – through online shopping.
"If you look at what has been happening in Australian retail over the last year or two, there has been a lot of pressure on retailers with online ordering," observed Alpha Flight Services Marketing and Duty Free general manager Pat Osborne. "The recent launch of Amazon in the country is a prime example."
Qantas flights will not only ditch their extensive stock of duty-free but also the In Sky Shopping catalogue which crowds those seat pockets.
We'd like to hear from Australian Business Traveller readers on this: will you miss duty-free shopping on Qantas flights? Indeed, what's the last time you bought any duty-free product on a flight – and what was it, and why?
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.