Qantas will begin moving to self-service check-in and baggage drop facilities at Sydney Airport's T1 international terminal this week.
The kiosks are similar to those already used by Qantas at Sydney's T3 terminal. Passengers can check-in for their flights, collect their boarding pass and head straight for the security gates (and the lounges beyond) if they have only carry-on luggage, or can tote their checked bags to the automated bag-drop machines.
The new check-in area is located to the left of the Qantas first class and business class check-in counters at Zone D, and has replaced the Zone C check-in counters.
A spokeswoman for Qantas told Australian Business Traveller "we're transitioning from a predominantly counter based check-in environment to a self-service check-in model for Qantas economy passengers, which will be hosted by our customer service agents."
The spokeswoman confirmed this would mean a reduction in the number of Qantas staff assigned to the traditional check-in counters, saying "there will be fewer general check-in counters," although this is not expected to impact arrangements for premium economy, business or first class check-in.
"Premium customers can choose to use check-in counters or this hosted self-service zone to complete their check-in and baggage acceptance," she added.
While Qantas is the launch partner for the self-serve system, other airlines are slated to follow, according to a spokeswoman for Sydney Airport.
Are you a fan of self-service check-in kiosks and automated baggage drop, or do you prefer to deal with airline staff – even if it means lining up a little longer?
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card