If you’re a business owner looking to maximise your Qantas Points earn, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t join the new Qantas Business Rewards program – all you need is a valid ABN and you can start earning more Qantas Points when you and your employees fly, as well as on your everyday business expenses.
If the program sounds familiar, that’s because it’s a rebrand of the Qantas Aquire program, but this isn’t just a simple name change. Qantas Business Rewards has been vastly improved to benefit more business owners than ever before, with Qantas making it easier to earn Qantas Points in the sky and on the ground.
This article is sponsored by Qantas Business Rewards.
How it works
Qantas Business Rewards provides businesses with the opportunity to earn additional Qantas Points on every eligible flight from the first flight taken.
As long as you have an ABN and are registered for GST or incorporated as an entity, your business can join and earn on flights.
We say ‘additional’ points because as a Qantas Business Rewards member, your business earns points on flights on top of those Qantas Points and Status Credits you can earn as an individual member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Eligible Qantas flights include flights operated by codeshare partners Emirates and American Airlines with a QF flight number.
That means you’re being rewarded twice for flying just once.
The points you earn for your business are Qantas Points that can be transferred to either the business owner’s personal Qantas Frequent Flyer account or any of their employees. It can therefore be used as a great way to reward your employees.
Earning points for the business without spending any extra money is a bit of a no-brainer, so you’re probably wondering why you haven’t signed up before.
It might be because the previous Aquire program was a tad restrictive, with minimum earning thresholds that made it difficult for small businesses to take advantage of it.
Now, the rebranded Qantas Business Rewards program is hoping to attract a whole new range of businesses by making it easier to both earn and redeem points for SMEs.
Earning points from flights
There are three different levels in the new Qantas Business Rewards Program, which increase the rate of earn from flights and the savings you can access as you progress through them.
Level 1: up to 20,000 points
When starting out with the program, your business will earn 20% of the amount of Qantas Points earned by Qantas Frequent Flyers on every eligible flight, as well as gaining access to a 5% discount on selected airfares provided they are booked seven days in advance of departure.
This means that on a Sydney-Melbourne return flight on an Economy Flex fare, the Qantas Frequent Flyer member would earn 2,400 Qantas Points just as they normally would, while the business would earn a further 480 Qantas Points as well as saving 5% on the base fare."
One of the key benefits that smaller businesses will see is that Qantas no longer requires you to reach a minimum threshold to use these points, so you can start unlocking your rewards sooner.
This means you can start earning rewards from your very first flight with the program, although you will still need to have a balance of at least 3,000 Qantas Points in your business account to transfer them to any Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
In fact, one of the key benefits of the program is that the business can gift the points to any Qantas Frequent Flyer – so you can reward staff, use points for travel or invest back into the business by using points for items from the Qantas Store like iPads, coffee machines or gift vouchers.
Level 2: 20,000 – 99,999 points
Level 2 increases the earn rate to 30% of what Qantas Frequent Flyers earn, as well as 7% off selected airfares. Similar to Level 1, you’ll need to book at least seven days in advance for discounted airfares
Level 3: 100,000+ points
At the highest tier of the Qantas Business Rewards program you’ll be earning an additional 40% of the Qantas Points earn rate and you’ll have access to an 8% discount on selected fares.
Additionally, you’ll also get 2% off on a selection of Qantas Red e-Deals, and you don’t have to book in advance to get either of the discounts.
Once you sign up for the Qantas Business Rewards program, you’re eligible for a 10% discount on Qantas Club memberships for you and your employees no matter which level in the program you are on.
Earning Qantas Points from expenses
The new Qantas Business Rewards Program also allows you to earn Qantas Points on more than 40 partners covering a range of business expenses including fuel, with the launch of new partner Caltex through its StarCard product.
- Westpac BusinessChoice Rewards Credit Card: 80,000 bonus points after your first purchase until 31 May 2017 + 1 Qantas Point for every $1.50 on the card with no cap
- GIO: is offering triple points when you purchase or renew and eligible GIO Business Insurance policy: That’s 3 Qantas Points for every $1 spent
- Corporate Cleaning Services: new customers can earn triple points – that’s 3 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on cleaning services
- Secure Parking: uUse Secure-a-Spot to earn double Qantas Points – that’s 6 Qantas Points per $1 spent
Other everyday ways to earn include:
- Vodafone: earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points on MyMix Red Global plans
- Caltex StarCard: $1 = 1 Qantas Point for most in-store items, while you earn 1 Qantas Point for every 1 litre of Vortex Premium fuel, or every 2 litres of regular fuel.
There’s a full range of different services where you can earn Qantas Points specifically targeted at SMEs, ranging from professional services from Deloitte Private to TV and print advertising through Seven or Pacific Magazines.
Pumping up your points balance
You can use the points calculator to see how you can maximise your potential points earnings through the Qantas Business Rewards program.
Even small sized enterprises are able to generate a sizeable number of Qantas Points when using partner offers in conjunction with the points earned from flying.
For example, a business spending $18,000 a month on an eligible credit card, with a domestic flight every month or two and a couple of international trips to Asia would be able to rack up close to 150,000 points – not too shabby considering it’s just 25,000 points to upgrade from Flexible Economy to Business on a one-way flight from Hong Kong to Sydney.
The perfect time to join
The new Qantas Business Rewards program is a great improvement on its predecessor, and business of all sizes can now enjoy the rewards without having to worry about minimum spends or earning thresholds.
Coupled with the various partner offers, it’s an easy way to boost your Qantas Points balance without spending extra money or time, with the added bonus of discounts on certain airfares and Qantas Club membership.
There’s also usually a fee of $89.50 to join the program, however this is being waived for the entire month of February this year, which means that now’s the perfect time to start earning those extra Qantas Points.
You can sign up for the Qantas Business Rewards program here.
This article is sponsored by Qantas Business Rewards.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card