It might only be November, but Christmas is just around the corner: and if you're already in the market for a new credit card, why not give yourself an early Christmas present by taking home a hoard of bonus frequent flyer points to spend on your next holiday getaway?
Across this month's top offers from American Express, ANZ, Bank of Melbourne, BankSA, St. George and Westpac a whopping 725,000 Qantas Points are on the table, with as many as 90,000 points given in return for a single personal card application, or an even-higher 120,000 points with just one business card.
Bonus points are normally given after spending a certain amount when you first get a card, so putting all of your Christmas shopping and other holiday costs onto your chosen card could get you across the line even faster: so without delay, take a peek at this month's top offers.
1. American Express Platinum charge cards
Continuing its reign at the top of the pile is the American Express Platinum Business Card with its offer of 120,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by January 31 2018, pay a $1,500 annual fee and charge at least $5,000 of everyday business expenses to the card within the first two months.
That generates 120,000 Membership Rewards Ascent Premium points, which are convertible into Qantas Points at a 1:1 rate – but if you're not a business owner, American Express' personal Platinum Charge Card isn't far behind with an offer of 80,000 bonus Qantas Points (granted as 80,000 Ascent Premium points, which you'll later convert).
They're earned after paying a $1,200 annual fee and spending $1,500 on purchases within the first three months, while you can also pocket up to three Ascent Premium points (three Qantas Points) per dollar spent on that spend, while the business card churns out up to two points per dollar spent.
2. American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
Another charge card option for business owners is the new American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card, tempting with a generous 100,000 bonus Qantas Points via the Qantas Business Rewards scheme when you apply by January 31 2018, are approved and spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within the first two months.
You'll also fetch two Qantas Points per dollar spent on selected Qantas purchases (such as Qantas flights and lounge membership), 1.25 Qantas Points per dollar spent on most other everyday purchases, and 0.5 Qantas Points per dollar spent on utility, insurance and government payments (including to the ATO).
In return for a single $450 annual fee, businesses can issue up to 99 supplementary cards on the account at no extra charge – such as for employees to use for their business-related purchases – with all points earned being credited to the company's Business Rewards account, and from there, they can be converted into personal Qantas Frequent Flyer points as desired at a 1:1 rate.
3. St. George Amplify Signature Visa credit card
Taking out the bronze medal this month is an offer of 90,000 bonus Qantas Points with the $279/year St. George Amplify Signature Visa credit card.
You'll earn those points as a new cardholder when you apply by April 18 2018 and spend $5,000 on purchases within 90 days of card approval.
By choosing the 'Amplify Qantas' rewards option to earn Qantas Points, cardholders can pick up 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases plus a 10% 'birthday bonus' provided in the month of the primary customer's birthday, being 10% of the points earned over the past 12 months (or part thereof), elevating the true earn rate to 0.825 Qantas Points per dollar spent, uncapped.
4. Westpac Altitude Black American Express, Mastercard credit cards
Westpac is now providing new cardholders 80,000 bonus Qantas Points via the Altitude Black AMEX + Mastercard combo, and a reduced annual fee of $250 (rather than the full $395) in the first year: a little more expensive than the previous $195/year offer, however.
(As of December 21, this has increased to 100,000 bonus Qantas Points, being higher than the 80,000 bonus Qantas Points on offer when this article was first published on November 6 2017.)
You'll get those points when applying by January 31 2018 and spending at least $5,000 on eligible purchases within the first 90 days following card approval, plus 1.25 Qantas Points per dollar spent when using the AMEX and 0.625 Qantas Points per dollar spent via the Mastercard, uncapped, but with the exception of payments to the ATO which earn no points.
5. ANZ Frequent Flyer Black Visa credit card
Next in line is ANZ's Frequent Flyer Black Visa credit card with a generous 75,000 bonus Qantas Points.
Those bonus points can be yours after spending $2,500 on eligible purchases in the first three months, with no annual fee in the first year either (normally $425).
Using this card also delivers one Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases up to $7,500 per monthly statement period, then 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent thereafter (excludes ATO payments which award no points).
There's a minimum income requirement of $75,000/year and a minimum credit limit of $15,000, so if you may not qualify, consider instead the ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum Visa which offers 65,000 bonus Qantas Points in return for the same spending requirements and also with no annual fee in the first year.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card