Singapore Airlines will launch its new Airbus A380 first class suites mid-2017, read our exclusive story for more details
Previous | Singapore Airlines is developing a luxurious new first class suite for its flagship Airbus A380s but has drawn the line at following Emirates and Etihad by adding an inflight shower.
"Definitely no showers!" affirms Mr Tan Pee Teck, the airline's Senior Vice President for Product & Services. "It’s a frill that we probably don’t need."
Speaking with Australian Business Traveller on the sidelines of a media briefing in Toulouse for Singapore Airlines' forthcoming Airbus A350, Tan admits that "a few customers say it’s nice to have."
"But it’s not a compelling proposition in terms of the decision to choose an airline – I don’t think many would choose based on a shower... it's more like something that just comes along with it."
"Service is still very important, and reliability, and I think how you build the affinity with your premium customers (is) what keeps them coming back" Tan adds.
Emirates has two showers in the nose of its Airbus A380s shared between 14 first class suites, while rival Etihad has one shower for its nine first class travellers and a second reserved for the occupants of its three-room The Residence supersuite.
Tan describes plans for Singapore Airlines' new A380 first class suites as "quite different to the product that we have."
"It's under development as we speak and we’re quite excited about it."
Singapore Airlines kicked off the modern wave of first class suites as the worldwide launch customer of the Airbus 380 in 2007, but faces increased competition from Gulf powerhouses Emirates and Etihad.
Emirates is also working on its own first class suite upgrade, which the airline says will be "more like a private railway cabin."
SQ's new first class suite will be launched alongside an all-new business class seat in the airline's next raft of superjumbo deliveries, due in 2017.
Chris Chamberlin visited Toulouse as a guest of Singapore Airlines and Airbus
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card