Malaysia Airlines will fly its flagship Airbus A380 superjumbo to Sydney on selected dates from March through to July 2018, and savvy business class passengers will be able to grab a free upgrade to first class for the nine hour journey to and from Kuala Lumpur.
The daily MH122/MH123 services between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney will shift from an Airbus A330 to the double-deck A380 on 20 dates so far:
- March 31
- April 1, and April 13 through to April 15
- June 22 through to June 25, and June 30
- July 1 through to July 9, and July 16
(Several of these dates represent peak travel periods, including the Easter weekend and NSW school holidays.)
These A380 flights can now be booked, and with substantially more seats than the A330 there should be ample availability and some points-based reward seats opening up – including a handful of business class seats on each of those dates listed above.
Note that Qantas frequent flyers can use Qantas Points to book a Malaysia Airlines flight, with Sydney to Kuala Lumpur in business class costing 65,000 Qantas Points and $275 in taxes, fees and charges.
Malaysia Airlines' A380 sports 66 business class seats which convert into fully-flat beds, in a 2-2-2 configuration similar to that of the Qantas Airbus A380s.
Fancy something a little more schmick?
Nestled at the front of the superjumbo's lower deck are eight first class suites – which some travellers will be able to snare even though they've paid for a business class ticket.
That's because Malaysia Airlines won't be selling first class on the Sydney-Kuala Lumpur flights. Instead, the first class cabin will be held aside for top-tier frequent flyers who are booked into business class.
How to book a first class suite on a business class fare
Platinum and Gold members of Malaysia Airlines' Enrich scheme – along with their Qantas Platinum and Gold counterparts, and other Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire card-holders – will be able to choose the prized rows 1 and 2 during the seat selection process.
Those are the eight first class suites, which will be blocked off to lesser mortals in business class.
You'll be served the same meals and wines as your business class comrades – but it'll feel so much more stylish because, well, you're in first class!
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card