Malaysia Airlines' first Airbus A350 has taken wing, with five more of the advanced jets to follow by July 2018 – and each is fitted with four first class suites of a unique design.
These are highly-customised versions of the Thompson Aero Seating's Vantage XL business class seat, which the airline maintains has been overhauled and upgraded specifically for its A350 – although it's very close to Thompson's Vantage Suite design (shown below).
High walls and a sliding door provide privacy for each passenger.
The seats themselves are 22 inches wide – the same as the A350's business class seats (which in turn are based on Thompson's Vantage platform) – although Malaysia Airlines cites a bed length of 83 inches, compared to 78 inches in business class.
A long shelf runs along the side of each suite and contains three spacious bins for keeping assorted pieces of carry-on kit close at hand.
The bin which sits next to the passenger features a large mirror on the underside of its lid, while located just ahead of that bench are the seat controls and a handheld touchscreen controller for the 24 inch HD video display parked at the far end of each suite.
Here's Mark Ross-Smith, who heads the airline's Enrich frequent flyer scheme, sampling the new first class suite on the A350 delivery flight from Toulouse to Kuala Lumpur.
Malaysia Airlines hopes that attributes such as privacy, a superior sleeping environment, direct aisle access and more detailed fitout – along with a true first class dining and drinks service – will warrant the extra cost over business class.
There's just one row of four suites at the pointy end of Malaysia Airlines' Airbus A350s, behind which are ranked 35 business class seats, using the same Thompson Vantage design as the Oneworld member's Airbus A330s – including four 'throne' seats which are ideal for solo flyers.
Those are followed by an economy cabin of 247 seats, 27 of which are 'extra legroom' seats with 36 inches of pitch compared to a standard 31 inches.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.