Many people have heard of invitation-only frequent flyer levels like the Qantas Chairman’s Lounge and Virgin Australia’s The Club, but there’s one frequent flyer tier so top-secret, that the people who have this membership don’t even know it, or that the VIP program itself even exists.
We’re talking about the above-Platinum tier in Malaysia Airlines’ Enrich frequent flyer program, which the airline nicknames Platinum Plus.
There’s no special VIP card, which perhaps explains why members aren’t aware of their status – these travellers receive only a standard-looking Enrich Platinum (Oneworld Emerald) card, with no distinctive signs or markings hinting their better-than-Platinum level.
Instead, they’re flagged as a Platinum Plus member by Malaysia Airlines’ computer systems, which alerts check-in staff, lounge agents and cabin crew that there’s a VIP in the house.
So, what does that actually get you?
Well, not very much, it seems!
Australian Business Traveller understands that Platinum Plus members may be offered access to Malaysia Airlines’ First Class Suite if it happens to be available when they’re flying through Kuala Lumpur International Airport…
… being a private space within the ‘normal’ first class lounge, featuring your own lounge room, tarmac views, fresh flowers and a television…
… which could be used as a more formal meeting space or just to relax and unwind…
… but again, only if it happens to be free: it’s not guaranteed. If you do blag the suite, it offers a private bathroom and shower, too: so you don’t have to leave ‘VIP land’ until it’s time to board:
Otherwise, you might receive a special welcome onboard from the cabin crew, and perhaps be asked for your first meal choice before other passengers to ensure you don’t miss out, but beyond that, that’s about it!
Of course, whether you’re a Platinum Plus member is a secret in itself, but if you are an Enrich Platinum cardholder and find yourself getting lots of special attention when flying Malaysia Airlines, you’ve most likely made it to the VIP club – but even if you have, you’ll never really know for sure!
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available