Many people have heard of invitation-only frequent flyer levels like the Qantas Chairman’s Lounge and Virgin Australia’s The Club, but there’s one frequent flyer tier so top-secret, that the people who have this membership don’t even know it, or that the VIP program itself even exists.
We’re talking about the above-Platinum tier in Malaysia Airlines’ Enrich frequent flyer program, which the airline nicknames Platinum Plus.
There’s no special VIP card, which perhaps explains why members aren’t aware of their status – these travellers receive only a standard-looking Enrich Platinum (Oneworld Emerald) card, with no distinctive signs or markings hinting their better-than-Platinum level.
Instead, they’re flagged as a Platinum Plus member by Malaysia Airlines’ computer systems, which alerts check-in staff, lounge agents and cabin crew that there’s a VIP in the house.
So, what does that actually get you?
Well, not very much, it seems!
Australian Business Traveller understands that Platinum Plus members may be offered access to Malaysia Airlines’ First Class Suite if it happens to be available when they’re flying through Kuala Lumpur International Airport…
… being a private space within the ‘normal’ first class lounge, featuring your own lounge room, tarmac views, fresh flowers and a television…
… which could be used as a more formal meeting space or just to relax and unwind…
… but again, only if it happens to be free: it’s not guaranteed. If you do blag the suite, it offers a private bathroom and shower, too: so you don’t have to leave ‘VIP land’ until it’s time to board:
Otherwise, you might receive a special welcome onboard from the cabin crew, and perhaps be asked for your first meal choice before other passengers to ensure you don’t miss out, but beyond that, that’s about it!
Of course, whether you’re a Platinum Plus member is a secret in itself, but if you are an Enrich Platinum cardholder and find yourself getting lots of special attention when flying Malaysia Airlines, you’ve most likely made it to the VIP club – but even if you have, you’ll never really know for sure!
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card