Over the Christmas / New Year break, Australian Business Traveller will be revisiting some of our most popular articles of 2017. We’re still around to report on any breaking news during this time, otherwise our regular publishing schedule will resume on Monday January 8, 2018.
Is this the next wave of business class for single-aisle jets like the Boeing 737, which are the domestic and short-range workhorse of airlines around the world?
Forget about seats that merely recline: these ones fold down into a fully flat bed that's on par with your best superjumbo-grade business class.
Middle-eastern airline Flydubai takes the medal for putting these seats into the pointy end of its new Boeing 737 MAX jets.
There are ten seats in the business class cabin, ranked in two rows of a 2-2 layout and between those a row of solo 'throne'-style seats.
Based on Thompson Aero's popular Vantage seat and styled by JPA Design – whose most recent work was on Singapore Airlines' new Airbus A380 business class – the clean lines and efficient use of space brings a relative degree of luxe to the otherwise low-cost state-owned airline.
JPA Design raised the curved shell of the seat for an enhanced sense of privacy, added a 15.6 inch touchscreen display for inflight video and surrounded the panel with dark, low-shine materials to minimise glare and optimise the viewing experience.
If nothing else, these premium pews show the degree of 'do-ability' for Virgin Australia's promised Boeing 737 transcontinental business class, which the airline intends to launch in the second half of 2018 as an alternative to its regular Airbus A330 services on east-west routes.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card