Members of Hyatt Gold Passport could save up to $280 per night off the normal room rates at the Park Hyatt Sydney hotel, thanks to a new ‘buying points’ promotion.
Until June 1 2015, travellers can enjoy a 40% bonus when they buy at least 10,000 Hyatt Gold Passport (HGP) points, which can then be redeemed for nights at hotels around the globe – including in Sydney.
Looking towards the lush Park Hyatt Sydney hotel, an overnight stay in a City Harbour King room averages $940 in May, or $1,880 for a two-night sojourn:
But, the same room is also available for 30,000 HGP points per night...
With the 40% bonus, you could buy exactly 60,200 HGP points – the minimum amount above 59,999 points and enough for a two night stay – for US$1,032.
That’s around A$1,319, or in other words, it’s $280.50 less per night for an all-up saving of $561.
The quirks and caveats explained
As always, there are a few caveats, but they’re quite simple.
Each year, you can buy a maximum of 55,000 HGP points. Bonus points aren’t included in that tally, so by buying 43,000 points with a 17,200 bonus, you’ll actually net 60,200 points despite the annual cap.
Also, you’ll want to check that award nights are available on your preferred dates before shelling out a four-figure sum for the points.
On the Hyatt website, that’s easily done by searching for rooms as you normally would, but then clicking “show Hyatt Gold Passport points” when the rates appear.
Finally, the Park Hyatt Sydney doesn’t make suites available to travellers booking with points, so you’ll only be able to redeem for a standard rooms.
HGP points can also be used at Hyatt’s other Australian hotels – including in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth – along with its roster of properties across the globe.
Room rates and redemption costs vary between hotels, so if you’re planning to stay elsewhere, make sure the deal stacks up before you dive in.
To get started, head to the Hyatt Gold Passport website and buy your bounty of miles before 2pm AEST on June 1.
More ways to save on business and luxury travel from the AusBT team:
- How codeshare flights could be costing you thousands...
- Bulk-buy United miles for huge savings on business, first class flights
- Low-cost Qantas business, first class buying AAdvantage frequent flyer miles
- Trim your Qantas travel budget by booking passengers separately
- Avianca LifeMiles unlocks low-cost business, first class flights
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card