A single night's stay at any Starwood group hotel – including Sheraton, Westin and W properties – can land you free Gold status in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) loyalty program, provided you have the right credit card.
MasterCard's World and World Elite plastic – which encompasses the Commonwealth Bank’s Diamond Awards and Westpac’s Earth and Altitude Black cards – are what you need to grab gratis Gold.
After registering your credit card against your SPG number you’ll just need to pay for one stay at a property within the Asia Pacific region, although this includes hotels within Australia, using your World or World Elite MasterCard to enjoy this one-time status boost.
Even if you’re only staying once and for a single night, that’s enough to earn SPG Gold status for an entire year.
The perks include a 4pm checkout, room upgrades on availability, a priority customer service line and 50% more Starpoints.
You’re also given the choice of a ‘welcome gift’ of bonus Starpoints, free in-room Internet access or a free drink after the qualifying stay.
After your free year is up, you’ll need 10 stays within a calendar year or at least 25 nights in the same period to retain your Gold status – the same requirements imposed on other Starwood members attaining and retaining Gold Preferred.
Starwood warns that it could take up to four weeks for your SPG status to be updated, with the promotion ending on July 13 2015.
Still, that’s plenty of time to grab Gold status either this year or in the next.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT
100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply by 2 July 2018 and spend $3,000 in the first 2 months of Card approval date. New Card Members only.
- Earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on Qantas products and services
- Earn up to 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases
- Earn TRIPLE Qantas Points for business on eligible flights
- Receive two domestic Qantas Club lounge passes per year
- No pre-set spending limit when you pay your balance in full every month
- Up to 51 days to pay for your purchases
- Receive complimentary domestic and international travel insurance cover for you, your partner and employees holding Supplementary Cards when you use your Card to pay for your travel arrangements.
- Gain better visibility of your staff expenses with $0 Supplementary Cards linked to your account. Up to 99 Supplementary Cards available