Garuda Indonesia has finally upgraded its Jakarta-London route to a non-stop service, although cost-cutting measures could see the airline abandon first class on its flagship Boeing 777-300ER jets which ply the route.
The SkyTeam member previously flew the Jakarta-London leg via Singapore, but as of October 31 deep-sixed that stopover to commence direct flights running three days a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays:
- GA86 departs Jakarta at 12.05pm to reach London Heathrow at 8pm
- GA87 leaves London at 9.55pm to arrive into Jakarta at 6.55pm the following day
Connections from Australia, however, leave much to be desired: for example, Garuda's flight from Sydney arrives at 3pm, a few hours after the flight to London has already left, so you're in for an overnight stay at Jakarta – which could mean spending several hours each way in the infamous airport-city traffic snarl.
The Boeing 777-300ER contains eight first class suites, which are the only first class offering in Garuda’s fleet.
The suites are arranged in a 1-2-1 layout – the middle pair have a slide-up screen for privacy if you're flying solo, but it also makes for a good companion arrangement when you're travelling with a friend.
Each suite gets a 23 inch video screen, a personal wardrobe for each passenger and ample storage space in a concealed compartment under the armrest.
The wide seats recline into a fully flat bed that's perfect for the long overnight leg from Jakarta to London.
At the not-so-pointy end of the plane are 38 ‘Executive Class’ business class seats in a staggered layout.
From tip to tail, Garuda’s Boeing 777-300ER boasts wireless Internet and live TV including English Premier League matches.
However, Nikkei Asian Review reports that Garuda could ditch first class in an effort to stem losses.
Having already withdrawn first class from flights to Tokyo, Nikkei Asian Review suggests that "while Garuda plans to keep first class on other routes, such as those between Indonesia and Europe, for the time being, the company is also considering a plan to eliminate the top-end seats entirely and use the space they occupy for more profitable business class seats instead."
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card