American Express has opened the doors to its first Australian airport lounge, run by Plaza Premium, at Sydney's T1 international terminal.
Located next to Gate 24, the American Express Plaza Premium Lounge is an intimate space with room for 60 travellers in contemporary tasteful decor.
In addition to the dining bar there are a few smaller seating nooks by the wall.
The American Express Lounge offers a selection of food and drink from breakfast through to dinner.
There's free (albeit password-protected) WiFi, while seats by the window afford a view over nearby boarding gates.
The facility is managed by Plaza Premium and is the first lounge at Sydney Airport not to be affiliated with an airline or alliance.
However, unlike many other Plaza Premium lounges there's no pay-in access, nor is the Priority Pass card accepted – the lounge is only for eligible American Express card-holders and their guests.
An American Express Centurion Card, Platinum Card, Business Centurion Card and Business Platinum Card provides unlimited access to the lounge provided it's issued by American Express Australia Limited, or is an internationally-issued American Centurion or Platinum card.
A longer list of American Express cards gives the cardholder two free lounge entries per calendar year for account, after which there's a per-entry fee of $55 for adults and $35 for children from 2-17.
- American Express Corporate Platinum Card
- American Express Qantas Corporate Platinum Card
- American Express Platinum Reserve Credit Card
- Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
- American Express Velocity Platinum Card
- ANZ Frequent Flyer Black American Express Card
- ANZ Rewards Black American Express Card
- Westpac Altitude Black American Express Card
- Westpac Earth Black American Express Card
- Commonwealth Bank Diamond Awards American Express Card
- David Jones American Express Platinum Card
The two-per-year entry allocation includes the cardholder, a supplementary cardholder, children between 2-17 or a guest.
The American Express Lounge is open daily from 6am to 11pm.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT