Emirates will reduce flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Auckland over April and May 2019 due to runway updates at its sprawling Dubai hub, with travellers needing to plan around the temporary cut-backs.
For Sydneysiders, the daily Airbus A380 EK417 flight to Dubai will be paused between April 18 and May 29 2019, according to the airline's booking system, as is EK416 from Dubai to Sydney during the same period, leaving three daily Airbus A380 flights.
The daily non-stop Boeing 777 service between Brisbane and Dubai (EK431/EK430) is also cut from April 17 to May 29, although Emirates' daily non-stop Airbus A380 service continues during this period, as does its other Boeing 777 flight which detours via Singapore in each direction.
Some flights on the Adelaide-Dubai and Auckland-Bali-Dubai routes are also being wound back, typically with 2-3 cancellations each week over the six-week period.
Out of Perth, the airline's double-daily flights are reduced to one service each day, with Emirates' Boeing 777 EK424/EK425 flights on hiatus during the dates above, leaving a single daily Airbus A380 flight.
Flights to other destinations including London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports face similar reductions during the same period.
In statement issued by Emirates this afternoon, in response to enquiries from Australian Business Traveller, the airline said it "is aware of the planned upgrade works on the southern runway at DXB which will be carried out from April to May 2019."
"We will have to adjust capacity due to the planned runway closure. Details are being worked on and will be announced closer to date.”
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.