Emirates will reduce flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Auckland over April and May 2019 due to runway updates at its sprawling Dubai hub, with travellers needing to plan around the temporary cut-backs.
For Sydneysiders, the daily Airbus A380 EK417 flight to Dubai will be paused between April 18 and May 29 2019, according to the airline's booking system, as is EK416 from Dubai to Sydney during the same period, leaving three daily Airbus A380 flights.
The daily non-stop Boeing 777 service between Brisbane and Dubai (EK431/EK430) is also cut from April 17 to May 29, although Emirates' daily non-stop Airbus A380 service continues during this period, as does its other Boeing 777 flight which detours via Singapore in each direction.
Some flights on the Adelaide-Dubai and Auckland-Bali-Dubai routes are also being wound back, typically with 2-3 cancellations each week over the six-week period.
Out of Perth, the airline's double-daily flights are reduced to one service each day, with Emirates' Boeing 777 EK424/EK425 flights on hiatus during the dates above, leaving a single daily Airbus A380 flight.
Flights to other destinations including London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports face similar reductions during the same period.
In statement issued by Emirates this afternoon, in response to enquiries from Australian Business Traveller, the airline said it "is aware of the planned upgrade works on the southern runway at DXB which will be carried out from April to May 2019."
"We will have to adjust capacity due to the planned runway closure. Details are being worked on and will be announced closer to date.”
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card