Emirates is turning to smartphones to streamline the inflight dining experience for business class travellers.
The system is currently being trialled on three routes – Dubai-Melbourne-Auckland, Dubai-Paris and Dubai–Mauritius – and will be rolled out across Emirates' Airbus A380 fleet by the end of April, with the Boeing 777s following by the end of May.
What Emirates refers to as 'Meal Ordering Devices' are Samsung Galaxy A7 smartphones, locked down so that they boot straight into a bespoke app built for Emirates on which the business class cabin crew take meal and drink orders.
Each order is instantly beamed back via WiFi – across a seperate WiFi network to that used by passengers – to a tablet located in the galley so that the order can be immediately prepared.
With as many as 76 business class passengers on an Emirates A380, the technology is proving to be a significant time-saver in keeping those premium passengers fed and watered – as well as ensuring what they're served is precisely what they ordered, without slip-ups.
It's all about "making service faster, more efficient and more personal," explains Terry Daly, Emirates' Divisional Senior Vice President for Service Delivery.
The MOD app can also record and display individual meal preferences, dietary notes and other information about each passenger.
"Providing our customers with the best onboard service has always been our top priority and we provide our cabin crew with the right tools, knowledge and information to do a world-class job" Daly tells Australian Business Traveller.
[Images in this article are courtesy of PaddleYourOwnKanoo.com]
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.