The sky-high bars on Emirates' flagship Airbus A380s are getting a mod new look – and, like the airline's forthcoming first class suites, it's a style "inspired by private yacht cabins."
Out go the dark heavy tones for this innovative social space at the back of the superjumbo's upper deck...
... and in comes a cleaner, sleeker design built around a lighter colour palette of ivory and (appropriately) champagne, with bronze and woodgrain accents.
The seating has been revamped to include cafe-style tables with a window view, while other areas have been opened up to make mingling easier.
Emirates has even added subwoofers (!) so the bar's patrons can enjoy surround sound – handy when paired with the 55 inch TV for live sports – while more subtle touches include LED mood lighting...
... and these wall motifs of the UAE's national Ghaf tree.
There are also soundproof curtains to keep the din of the bar from disturbing passengers seated in the rear of the business class cabin.
However, a spokesperson for Emirates confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that only factory-fresh jets will sport the swish new bar – which will makes its debut on a new A380 set to take wing in July 2017 – while the rest of the 93-strong superjumbo fleet will make do with the original design.
It's the first rethink of the bar since Emirates began flying the Airbus A380 in 2008, and comes ahead of a new generation of first class suites which airlines executives have also described as being more like a private railway cabin or a luxury yacht.
"We’re talking fully enclosed rooms, with all the touches and amenities that you’d expect in hotel or a private bedroom on a luxury yacht, room service and so on" says Emirates CEO Tim Clark.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card