Emirates has finally dropped that hated middle seat from its Boeing 777 business class cabin – but only on the long-range Boeing 777-200LR jets, which this week debut with a wider business class seat.
All ten of Emirates' Boeing 777-200LR jets will shift to a 2-2-2 layout in business class as part of a US$150 million update which will also see them lose the first class cabin and become a two-class aircraft.
While the 38 business class seats have the same design as those of their Boeing 777-300ER cousins – including a refined champagne-coloured finish and diamond stitch pattern on the full leather cover – they've gained an extra two inches in width.
The make-over also introduces a 'mini lounge' social area with a self-serve bar featuring snacks such as crisps, sandwiches and fruit, as well as drinks.
Emirates has also removed the central overhead bins to give the business class cabin "an airier and more spacious feel", although this will obviously put carry-on space at a premium as passengers in the middle pair of seats will have to share the same bis as used by those sitting by the windows.
The airline expects all ten of the long-rage Boeing 777s to be refreshed by the end of 2018.
Emirates has confirmed its forthcoming Boeing 777X jets, due from 2020, will sport an all-new business class seat which could adopt a 1-2-1 layout so that every passenger enjoys direct aisle access.
Emirates President Sir Tim Clark has said the Boeing 777X business class seat will “resemble what we have on the Airbus A380s upstairs", with the current Boeing 777 seats serving as “test for the new interior design of Emirates."
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card