Emirates will refresh its Boeing 777 business class seats from 2018, but this minor facelift won't mean dropping the oft-criticised 2-3-2 layout and its inconvenient middle seat.
The move – revealed alongside the launch of new Boeing 777 first class suites – comes barely 18 months after the Gulf airline and Qantas partner unveilled new-look Boeing 777 lie-flat business class seats (below) in March 2016.
The changes appear to be exceptionally subtle, however, and intended to give the seats a slightly more consistent look against those first class suites which Emirates says were inspired by the Mercedes-Benz S-Class series.
For example, there's a different woodgrain pattern on the privacy dividers between the seats as well as around those massive 23-inch HD video screens (which can be overwhelming because your seatmate's screen remains well inside your own field of vision).
Emirates also tells us the revamped seat includes a slimline USB-C port – as used on an increasing number of smartphones and laptops – alongside the conventional USB-A jack, so that's definitely a nod to the tech-toting business traveller.
Overall the refresh certainly doesn't draw down that 'business class bling' factor, as passengers still face acres of that familiar faux woodgrain-effect plastic wrapped around the seats.
Clark described the 2018 refresh as "the last makeover of this generation of seat” for Emirates’ Boeing 777.
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card