Emirates will upgrade its Airbus A380 first class suites to the all-new design adopted for its Boeing 777-300ER jets and revealed today at a worldwide media launch in Dubai, but in the process reduce the number of luxe private cribs from the superjumbo's upper deck.
Emirates CEO Tim Clark confirmed the suites would appear on the airline's superjumbos, although it's believed that only factory-fresh A380s will get the sophisticated new private cribs which Clark boasts were "inspired by Mercedes-Benz."
Clark said the airline is considering some retrofits to its current A380 fleet but described any such refit as being a "formidable task", adding that a superjumbo version of the suites is a "work in progress."
In keeping with the revamped design, those A380s will see their first class cabin trimmed from a current count of 14 suites in a 1-2-1 layout to just 11, with today's three pairs of middle suites dropped for single suites in a 1-1-1 footprint.
The suites will make a stylish companion to the refreshed business class bar at the rear of the A380's upper deck...
... as both share similar yet subtle high-end influences and a more timeless palette of soft greys, cream and champagne that's a world away from the extravagant first-gen suites (below) with their darker brown faux 'burled walnut' and brass trim.
Earlier this month Singapore Airlines launched its own new-look Airbus A380 first class suites, which will take wing on the Singapore-Sydney route from late December 2017 and be fitted across the airline's superjumbo fleet by 2020.
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year. Use your Qantas Travel Credit for eligible international or domestic Qantas flights when you book and pay online at American Express Travel.
- 2 American Express Airport Lounge entries each calendar year
- 2 Qantas Club lounge invitations each year
- Up to 44 Interest-free days and 20.74% p.a. interest rate on purchases
- Get rewarded with up to 2.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. There’s no cap on the amount of Qantas Points you can earn, plus American Express will transfer your points straight to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account each month
- Earn 1.5 Qantas Points for every $1 spent on Card purchases, except spend at government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
- Receive complimentary Qantas epiQure Premium Membership. This allows you to enjoy gourmet food, exceptional wines and exclusive access to food and wine events around Australia.