Air New Zealand has responded to critics of its latest inflight safety video starring Sports Illustrated swimsuit models, saying the beachside setting made it "entirely appropriate" that the ladies wear bikinis.
The Kiwi carrier is well known for its decidedly different safety videos, which are as much a global marketing tool as a way to ensure your seat belt is indeed fastened low and tight.
But AirNZ has had to leap to the defence of its 'Safety in Paradise' video, even on the basis of a 'behind the scenes' teaser released ahead of the actual video's debut later this month.
"We have been careful to ensure Safety in Paradise has been produced in a way that is tasteful" maintains Air New Zealand spokesperson Andrew Aitken told Fairfax NZ, adding that it was "entirely appropriate they're wearing beachwear and we were careful to ensure all talent were in appropriate wardrobe choices".
The airline says it carried out extensive tests with a section of customers and staff to ensure the video achieved the right balance between entertainment and safety messages.
'Safety in Paradise' will begin screening on Air New Zealand flights this month, but here's the 'behind the scenes' clip which everybody's talking about.
Follow Australian Business Traveller on Twitter: we're @AusBT
Receive 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date.
- Receive 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as Bank-issued American Express companion cardholders
- Start exploring with a $400 Travel Credit every year
- Enjoy two complimentary entries per year to the American Express Lounge, located at Sydney International Airport or Melbourne International Airport
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies
- No cap on earn rate. You can earn up to 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, no matter how much you spend each month
- Transfer your points to a choice of 8 Airline Partner Programs including Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines
- Spend more and earn more points by getting up to 4 Supplementary Cards for family members at no additional fee
- Travel with peace of mind knowing that you'll also enjoy extensive protection for you and your partner and dependent children when you pay for travel on your American Express Explorer® Credit Card