Cathay Pacific and its regional Hong Kong-based subsidiary Dragonair are working on a new regional business class seat to be used across both airlines -- and you won't have too much longer to wait to see what the airline has in store.
Having reshaped Cathay Pacific's business class and international economy seating, and created an all-new premium economy class for the airline, the regional seats used on shorter-distance flights within Asia are next on the list.
"We're definitely focussing on (regional business class)," Cathay Pacific's man in charge of seats, Head of Product Alex McGowan, told Australian Business Traveller.
McGowan says that Cathay is "taking on board comments from passengers that while they love the service in the region, the hard product is not up to the same standard as the long-haul product. We're going to address that."
Cathay and Dragonair currently use a dated recliner-style business class seat, which is slightly more spacious than what you might see in domestic Australian business class.
After the rollout last year of its very popular new fully flat "reverse herringbone" style business class beds, the airline is studying options to replace the older regional seats.
Need a refresher on the reverse herringbone and other types of business class seat? We've got you covered with our in-depth photo guide to business class seats and cabin layouts.
Competitors Singapore Airlines recently invested in a new angled-flat seat for regional Boeing 777 flights. These are similar in design -- but not in overnight fully flat sleeping comfort -- to SQ's long-haul business class seat.
Cathay's McGowan explained his airline's thinking: "We've talked about investment in the regional product, and it's definitely something we're looking at for both Cathay and Dragonair"
The airline wouldn't be drawn on dates or likely styles of seating, but "it won't be too long to wait before we're able to show you something," McGowan promised.
More articles on Cathay Pacific from Australian Business Traveller
- Seven things you didn't know about Cathay Pacific's business class
- Checking out Cathay Pacific’s mobile boarding pass
- The best seats in Cathay Pacific business class (Boeing 777-300ER)
- The best seats in Cathay Pacific premium economy (Airbus A330)
- Photos & review: Cathay Pacific’s new ‘long haul’ international economy seats
- Photos & review: Cathay Pacific’s new premium economy seats
- Inside look: the 'crew-only' upstairs bunk beds on Cathay's Boeing 777
- Cathay Pacific to begin trials of inflight Internet mid-year